Previous topic | Next topic
Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

The End

The End

Qpawn Admin

Profile  E-mail 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:26 pm Post
It is with a heavy heart that I write this, but today I tender my resignation as Admin.

My reasons are many, and though recent events have hastened this decision, I have been pondering this for some time.

I have been playing Qpawn for more years than I can remember now, and been modding for most of that time, but right now I think this has become too much like a second job, one for which I never receive any thanks, appreciation or compensation, and as such I have finally had enough. As selfish as it sounds I'm fed up with taking abuse for the hours I spend each day keeping this game running, and I think that maybe I'd like my life back.

When I offered to host this game here on my site I was only ever intended to be the caretaker. I never sought power, and have slowly had it thrust upon me, until big decisions began to rest on my shoulders. I stated last week that I lived in fear of waking up one day to find that I'd become Qpawn Majesty, well I think after recent events I'm closer to that than ever, so it is better to leave know with what remains of my dignity than to continue flogging this expired equine any further.

I think it is especially important that I stand down now as the old complaints about cliques and Illuminati-style cults are beginning to rear their ugly heads. It is time for new leadership. I will state categorically that the reason the same few people always seem to be making the decisions is because time and time again, no matter how often they try to walk away, they are always drawn back in to "help out" during a mod shortage, and the mods are never replaced and so they take on the mantle once more.

My deepest regret is that my time spent modding the game left me with no time to complete the behind-the-scenes coding that I began working on from the day we moved here. If only you could see what I had planned, how much simpler things would have been for mods and players, how much better a few simple pieces of code could have made your experience. Sadly that will never be. I've not had time to work on it for nearly 5 months, the code is languishing and Qpawn continues to eat more and more of my personal life, to the point where this last week I have done little else but Qpawn. I'm not going to be so big-headed as to say that I could have made this game great, but I could have laid a foundation that would have fundamentally changed the hours spent hacking away at spreadsheets into a few simple button clicks, leaving mods more time for the jobs that matter.

Qpawn is more than just its mods or its players, it will survive and I'm sure that you will go on to new things, better things. My vision for Qpawn may never be realised, but now it is your turn.

I will begin locking down the forums and moving them to the archive. I promise that while I have space on my web host the archive of rounds past will not be removed.

For now I will leave the Player's lounge open so that you can begin discussing who will lead you and where you will be hosting the site. Should you choose the old Zetaboards site I have an Admin account there so I can pass the details along to whomever you nominate to lead.

I will also do the same for the Qpawn Wiki, if you really want it. You are welcome to all image assets that I have created for the board, but you are equally welcome to create your own. Do not feel beholden to the past, do not be afraid to innovate.

I will also make public the forum from the Admin room that contains all of our work on the next round that had been planned to begin in April/May. This should give you a good head start and enable you to get up and running very quickly.

I wish you all luck, and who knows maybe one day our paths will cross again.

Matthew Keable (Admin).
Last post

Re: The End

Qpawn Admin

QpawnID: Fowler
Profile  E-mail 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 pm Post
Thank you Matt. I too will be standing down for similar reasons. As I stated elsewhere earlier today, it's gotten to the point where I actually sympathise with Majesty, and understand why he did what he did...and when it gets to the point that you fear that you have become that which you sought to replace, and that which you so condemned...it's time to stand aside.

This isn't the end of Qpawn, by no means, and I hope to get back into the game again one day, and I really hope to keep in touch with some of you, Fabbie, Dole, Meddy in particular, Bruce too if he's still out there. It's been my pleasure to call you my friends during this time, and it's been my pleasure to work with you. It's not always been easy, but the good times were damn good weren't they? :D

I'm sure that one of you tech-savvy chaps will find a free board to setup on, my other half runs a board on proboards and she's had good experience with it and Admin won't delete this board so the last two rounds will be preserved.

It's been an honour guys. God speed.

France

QpawnID: Fink
Profile  E-mail 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:50 pm Post
A real shame, Matt, Fowler thanks for all the hard work its been fantastic working with you guys as mods and players I hope one day you both can return to the player base.

Italy

Profile  E-mail  WWW 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:54 pm Post
I think this is disheartening. There's no sense in leaving over such drama. You've done a wonderful job making this game work for all of us. Just because a small handful of trouble makers threw accusations doesn't mean that those accusations were valid. Instead, you could hold a "Vote of Confidence" - Which would show you that we support you.

Italy

Profile  E-mail  WWW 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:58 pm Post
I know that running a game like this is time consuming.

However, you had to be passionate about the game when you started doing the job. You should still be passionate about the game. I know that we don't thank you enough and that you receive more criticisms than you do appreciation because people are more likely to be vocal about the bad than the good.

Nonetheless, you can rest assured that we do appreciate the job you're doing.

You can't please every body all of the time. The key is that you've worked hard and we do appreciate the work you've done.

Last edited by Ricardo Lombard on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Kingdom

QpawnID: Meddy
Profile  E-mail 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 pm Post
I agree with Ricardo, myself, but if this is the decision you've both come to it's very sad to say goodbye.
Fowler, Matt, I really hope y'all stay on as players, even if only casually. I'd love to stay in touch, I'm pleased to call you both friends. Some of my best experiences in this game over the years have come from the pair of you and others acting as Admins.

USSR

QpawnID: CanisFishHour
Profile  E-mail 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:05 pm Post
Fantastic work, both of you. You've done a stellar job and I'm sure we all appreciate it.

Czechoslovakia

Profile  E-mail 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 pm Post
Playing Duc I noticed how much of a great job you guys are doing. I thank you all. And modding as legal I noticed how hard being a mod can be. Once again thank you for what you have done. You both did an amazing job.

Germany, East

QpawnID: Honecker
Profile  E-mail 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm Post
Thanks guys, we'll miss you - it's been a pleasure working with you as a mod and a player :)

Spain

QpawnID: Scott006
Profile  E-mail 
Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:30 pm Post
Really sorry to see you go, but you have done a lot of work and your decision is completely understandable.
As for lack of appreciation, cristisim is always louder than praise but rest assured many of us who plod along with the game were and are extremely grateful for the effort you put into skilfully heading the game.

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic